[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

Chris Terry tuba_man at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 17:38:01 MDT 2003

*Snip*

>I can attest to the fact that the switch can be a bit
>disorienting/painful, I did it years ago... but if you make the effort
>to switch to Linux, and Linux apps, I think you'll have fewer problems.

When I first made my switch to Linux (about a year and a half ago), I
was willing to accept the fact that Linux is very different from
Windows, in archetecture, focus, and attitude.  I was fortunate enough
to have an old hard drive available to allow for a dual-boot sort of
thing.  That was probably the biggest factor for me.  If I got scared,
or didn't know how to do what I wanted to do, I could go back to windows
and look it up (I was on AOL at the time...ugh.).  While the information
was not always up-to-date or useful, It was almost always enough to
point me in the right direction.

Maybe it will be a help to other potential Linux users as well.  Go into
it thinking of it as a foreign country, as a different exprience.  If
you allow yourself time to acclimatize and adjust, things should go
smoother.  Bringing along your Windows-Linux dictionary (wether it's a
dual-boot setup, or another computer, or whatever)  is a great way to
start out in the chaotic world of Linux.