[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Tue Oct 28 09:02:48 MST 2003

On Monday, 27 October 2003 at 12:15:15 -0700, Chuck Downing
<chuckdowning at earthlink.net> wrote:

<---SNIP--->

> 4.  OO would like me to install Java.  The Blackdown Java
> installation included with Libranet 2.8 on the CD cannot be
> completed because some library dependancies are not
> available on the debian web site.  Java has installed on
> Windoze for at least 8 years!

Chuck,

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I have OO and Java
working on two PC's.  Both are running Libranet 2.8.1, which
is still the "current" version of Libranet.  I received my
2-disk set at the end of September.  This version shipped
with OpenOffice 1.0.3, NOT 1.1.

There were no J2re packages supplied with the distro, but the
recommended method of aquiring and installing the J2re
environment is via the Libranet adminmenu/Xadminmenu
utility.

I would suggest sticking to the package format and versions
that shipped with your distro before trying the latest
version you can download.  If you are running (or trying to
run) OO 1.1x, then you are attempting something that isn't
assured to work.

Where did you get OO 1.1 in *.deb format?

I'm pretty certain OO 1.1 isn't available in the Debian
Stable branch, it's in the testing branch.  And, while
Libranet does not ship/run exclusively Debian Stable
packages, they are not yet shipping OO 1.1 with thier latest
version.  And, I'll bet there's a reason they aren't.

Understandably, you will want to upgrade at some point.
When doing so, I would suggest being very careful in how you
approach that.  I guess the two broad / general approaches
are:

1. Upgrade your entire installation with the newest release
of your distro of choice (ie. RH9, Debian Woody, Libranet
3.0, etc.)

2. Upgrade selected packages, as they come available.  This
will require VERY careful attention to dependencies.

There's much more that could be said on those topics.  I'm
no guru, so I'm sure others could be much more specific and
insightfull.

FWIW, here's the output of some commands showing the
versions that I've got working.  These are all packages that
came with my Libranet 2.8.1 distro, with the exception of
the j2re1.4 - Blackdown Java.  I downloaded and installed
that via the Libranet adminmenu/Xadminmenu utilities.

rrarabie at hagrid:~$ ls /cdrom/archive/ | grep -i openfoffice
openoffice.org-bin_1.0.3-2_i386.deb
openoffice.org-debian-files_1.0.3-2+1_all.deb
openoffice.org-help-en_1.0.3-2_all.deb
openoffice.org-l10n-en_1.0.3-2_all.deb
openoffice.org_1.0.3-2_all.deb

rrarabie at hagrid:~$ ls /cdrom/archive/ | grep -i java
java-common_0.14_all.deb
netscape-java-477_4.77-2_all.deb
vnc-java_3.3.3r2-4_all.deb

rrarabie at hagrid:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i java
ii  j2re1.4        1.4.1-0.libran Blackdown Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, St
ii  j2se-common    1.1            Common facilities for all Java2 Standard Edi
ii  java-common    0.14           Base of all Java packages
ii  vnc-java       3.3.3r2-4      VNC java applet and command line program

rrarabie at hagrid:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i openoffice
ii  openoffice.org 1.0.3-2        high-quality office productivity suite
ii  openoffice.org 1.0.3-2        OpenOffice.org office suite binary files
ii  openoffice.org 1.0.3-2+1      Debian specific parts of OpenOffice.org pack
ii  openoffice.org 1.0.3-2        OpenOffice.org office suite help (English)
ii  openoffice.org 1.0.3-2        English (US) language package for openoffice

HTH.

One more note, I assume you paid for your version of
Libranet.  If you did, then you are entitled to support from
them: http://www.libranet.com/support.html.

I'm not, in any way, trying to discourage you from seeking help on this
list.  However, they may have some specific advice
non-Libranet users may not have.

I'm a Libranet newbie, but so far I'm impressed with the
distro.  I've been a Debian user a for more than a year.  I
decided to go for Libranet because it's Debian based and I
heard it worked well on laptops.  I liked it so much, I
moved my Debian Woody desktop over to it.
--

Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/