[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

Chuck Downing chuckdowning at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 06:59:33 MST 2003

Randy,

I snipped most of your long response.  Thanks for your help.

Now, to a discussion.

First, I was using Libranet 2.8.x (whichever version which I paid for) and
OpenOffice 1.0.x.  I tried to "import" a document my spouse had written in OO
1.1 for Windoze.  All of the apostrophes and quote marks showed up as
question marks and the screen font was really hard to read.  That started a
quest for OO 1.1, and then Java.  I followed the "approved" installation
approach for Java, which never got beyond the download step because some
libraries were missing from the debian.org ftp site.  Thus, a point of
frustration.

Second, I can't imagine my 89-year-old uncle or my techno-phobic spouse being
able to follow the convoluted steps necessary to resolve this unnecessary
conflict between OO versions, Debian/Libranet/Java versions and
Windoze/Linux.  All they would see is, "My computer doesn't work."   My
original point, probably lost in the fog of frustration, was that my uncle
and my spouse may be representative of the non-geeky public-at-large that
Linux must satisfy if we hope to take over the world.

Thanks for your time.

--
Chuck Downing
Leadville, Colorado