[CLUE-Tech] Using CSS to get an HTML table effect.

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Oct 29 09:02:39 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 17:54, Mike Staver wrote:
> I'm going to strongly agree with Keith here.  I spend 90% of my work
> days writing html/javascript/cold fusion/sql code, and I HATE pages that
> combine CSS and div tags to accomplish a layout.  It doesn't work from
> browser to browser the same way, and that forces me to waste massive
> amounts of time writing java scripts that check for browser version and
> then write 2 sets of page layout code for everything.  In my opinion,
> nothing beats using tables effectively.  Granted, Netscape 4.X has
> major, major issues with nested tables at a certain level, but Mozilla
> (Netscape 6+) and IE 5+ seem to get along great with nested tables.

I have to disagree with this.

All major browsers (such as Mozilla based and IE based) except Netscape
4.x will handle CSS / Div based pages just fine.  They don't all do it
the same way, of course, but the overall effect can be made to be
similar on all of those browsers.  And you don't need browser detection
code to do it either.  I didn't figure this out - Eric Meyer did.
Clever guy.

If you need Netscape 4.x compatibility, you must use tables.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com