[CLUE-Tech] Using CSS to get an HTML table effect.

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Oct 28 16:54:42 MST 2003

I'm going to strongly agree with Keith here.  I spend 90% of my work
days writing html/javascript/cold fusion/sql code, and I HATE pages that
combine CSS and div tags to accomplish a layout.  It doesn't work from
browser to browser the same way, and that forces me to waste massive
amounts of time writing java scripts that check for browser version and
then write 2 sets of page layout code for everything.  In my opinion,
nothing beats using tables effectively.  Granted, Netscape 4.X has
major, major issues with nested tables at a certain level, but Mozilla
(Netscape 6+) and IE 5+ seem to get along great with nested tables. When
I want to accomplish an effect of having images behind tables and
things, you can use css to place images under or over tables.  But
generally, just using things like <td background="whatever.gif"> works
well for page layouts without using CSS.