[CLUE-Tech] Getting the IP

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Sep 4 17:34:29 MDT 2003

Roger Frank wrote:
[...]
> So how do I find out the IP address acquired with DHCP
> of machine A from machine B?

Seems that what you want can be done using ISC's DHCP client and BIND
9.something.  When the client gets an address it updates its record in DNS.

This should work with your Win DHCP server, as long as you can run your
own DNS.  I don't know if there's a way for linux boxen to update a Win
DNS or Win boxen to update a linux DNS.

Here's some instructions to get you started.  It's dated, but it should
at least give you an idea of the process.  And it may use more security
than you need/want:

http://ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html