[CLUE-Tech] FW: [CLUE-Talk] SuSE 7.0 X config

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Sep 15 15:10:28 MDT 2003

David L. Willson wrote:
[...]
> I am running SuSE 7.0 in a VMWare VM.  What is the easiest way to setup
> X?

I didn't notice any particular differences with X under VMWare.  After
you install X, you have to install the VMWare Tools.  Follow the
directions and it will do what it needs to make X work with the VMWare X
server.  After that you can configure X however is easiest for you (for
me that's editing XF86Config-4 with vi).

I don't use SuSE but the VMWare docs don't seem to indicate any hoops to
jump through.

> Also, how do I switch between consoles in a VM?

If your console is running X, Ctl-Alt-space Ctl-Alt-F1.  If it is not
running X, Alt-Fx (like usual).  This applies to both full screen and
windowed virtual machines.  If windowed, you have to pay attention to
whether the VMWare window has captured the cursor or not.

HTH,