[CLUE-Tech] How to Thwart Verisign's Latest DNS Trickery

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Sep 15 21:22:06 MDT 2003

Hi Folks.

Probably a few of you have seen this story on /. already, but I'd like to
hear any suggestions for blocking such behavior.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/16/0034210&mode=nested&tid=126&tid=95&tid=98&tid=99

<quote>
As of a little while ago (it is around 7:45 PM US Eastern on Mon 15 Sep
2003 as I write this), VeriSign added a wildcard A record to the .COM and
.NET TLD DNS zones. The IP address returned is 64.94.110.11, which
reverses to sitefinder.verisign.com. What that means in plain English is
that most mis-typed domain names that would formerly have resulted in a
helpful error message now results in a VeriSign advertising opportunity.
For example, if my domain name was 'somecompany.com,' and somebody typed
'soemcompany.com' by mistake, they would get VeriSign's advertising.
</quote>

It's pretty intermittent, right now. I've tried several phony domains,
including random typing, and deliberate mistypes. Here's an example:

$ lynx --mime-header http://www.jfgsdjklfgdjasfhgdusgfo.com/
HTTP/1.1 302 Found