[CLUE-Tech] mailman spam

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Thu Sep 18 16:11:18 MDT 2003

At 03:12 PM 9/18/2003 -0600, Jeff Cann wrote:

>Is it better to discard or reject mailman spam (i.e., list postings from
>non-members)?
>
>I have been discarding, under the assumption that a reject will bounce the
>message back to the spammer.  I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.
>
>I appreciate suggestions.
>Jeff

Most spam uses forged addresses. If the address exists at all, the spam was
almost certainly not sent by the person the address belongs to. Chances are
the forged address, if real, belongs to someone who pissed the spammer off
by complaining about a previous spam.  In your shoes, I would either
discard it without a response, or forward an appropriate
complaint.  Complaint addresses for criminal spam (eg - Nigerian scams) are
at http://denveraitp.org/legislative/spam.html and spamcop will handle the
complaints to ISPs who host the web page, provided the open proxy or open
relay, etc.

If the domain in the forged address has a tld of .net or .com and doesn't
exist, forward it to verisign with a complaint that they are providing DNS
for the domain :-)

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**