[CLUE-Tech] Setting a webspace for a school

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Thu Sep 25 07:37:24 MDT 2003

greg at knaddison.com writes:

> The Zend Studio is an awesome integrated development environment (IDE) for PHP
> work.  If you write PHP in Emacs--even if you are really good with
> Emacs--switching to Zend Studio will make you cry for all the time you wasted

The price seems a bit high.  I am fluent with emacs (even write my own
extensions).  I am not sure what advantages Zend studio would provide
me (I have never really liked IDEs other than emacs).

> I've also really enjoyed O'Reilly's "PHP Cookbook".  I started learning PHP by

I could see picking up a copy of that.  I am doing some more
consulting work and that might be useful.

> reading the book "PHP and MySQL Development" from SAMS written by Welling and

I, too, have some PHP book (new riders, I think).  Read it once and
have not looked at it since.  Not a bad book, but dead trees are such
an inconvenient way to document something as dynamic as PHP.

I have developed a couple of large applications using PHP.  I just
follow the mantra "Good programmers copy; great programmers steal."

-Dale