[CLUE-Tech] Palm synching on a Dell, running Knoppix/Debian

Dave Price dp_kinaole at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 14:33:17 MST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:22:00AM -0700, James LaRue wrote:

> 1. USB synching. Apparently, Knoppix doesn't install USB modules in the
> kernel. Even setting up a symbolic link to /dev/ttyUSB0 doesn't
> recognize the HotSync. I believe the "lsmod" command must list visor and
> usbserial. It doesn't. I can find the visor.o module, but the "modprobe"
> command won't install it, even if I give the full file name. No clue
> why. Late update: I did manage to install BOTH usbserial.o and visor.o
> using the insmod command (and full filenames). I also checked the
> /proc/bus/usb directory to make sure that it had the following
> files:001  002  devices  drivers. But it doesn't seem to have made any
> difference... Well, the Info Center program now does show USB devices,
> so that's progress. But still no friendly chirp that suggests my machine
> is talking to the Dell.

My Dell laptop is a Lattitude C610.  Debian/Linux on this system started
as a Knoppix hdinstall.  I use jpilot to do a usbsync regularly.

The only quirckyness I have is that sometimes the Handspring wants to be
/dev/ttyUSB1 and sometimes (after a reboot) it wants to be /dev/ttyUSB0.

I should probably worry about this more, but I have gotten used to just
editing the symlink to /dev/pilot when needed to get the friendly chirp.

I leave jpilot set to /dev/pilot, so I can flip the setting without
even exiting jpilot.  As to the 'user unknown' issue - never ran in to
that. FYIW, my pilot username is stored in ~/.jpilot/jpilotrc.