[CLUE-Tech] Wireless problem

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Apr 6 13:51:01 MDT 2004

Hi Francis,

Francis X. Maier wrote:

> I'm running Yellow Dog Linux 3.01 (basically Red Hat for Macs) on an
> iMac with an Airport (802.11b) card.  The card appears as configured and
> active, but I can't make an internet connection.

Could you please send the results of "ifconfig -a" and "iwconfig eth1"
to the list?  Also I'd like to see 'netstat -rn'.  You'll have to spend
some time sanitizing the addresses of course.

I'm not sure what you mean be "can't make an internet connection" since
that covers a host of various problems.

Can you ping any of the IP addresses on your LAN from the Linux box?
Can you ping any of Qwest's server IP addresses from the Linux box?

> Background:  I lease eight static IPs from Qwest.  Five are usable by
> me.  Three are required by the system -- including the IP my Actiontech
> router uses (168.103.XX.6).

When you say "lease" that makes me think you need to negotiate for
the IP address or address space with a DHCP server at Qwest.  However
since you have a subnet routed to you it seems less likely that you
use DHCP.

> I assign 168.103.XX.1 to my Airport Extreme base station, which then
> operates as the gateway for my other computers.
>
> The Xbox and the two Macs on my wireless LAN system work great, manually
> configured with the base station (again, 168.103.XX.1) as their gateway.
>
> My Linux box is the problem.  Note that I do not use WEP.  Here's my
> current /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file:
>
> DEVICE=eth1
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=168.103.XX.7
> IPADDR=168.103.XX.5
> NETMASK=255.255.255.248
> NETWORK=168.103.XX.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> CHANNEL=1
> TYPE=Wireless
> MODE=Auto
> KEY=
> RATE=Auto
> GATEWAY=168.103.XX.1
> ESSID=dannyman1
>
> Can somebody steer me in the right direction?

Probably, but I'll need some more information.

By the way I've been messing with Atheros WLAN cards and I'm very
impressed.  I bought D-Link DWL-AG650 cards, which are trimode dual
band cards 802.11(a, b, g) and (2.4, 5) GHz.  Obviously 802.11b is
only at 2.4GHz.  Using the madwifi most-recent CVS driver and a
2.4.23 kernel with Linux wireless extensions v16, I'm using the
Atheros chip as an access point and another one as a client.  Nifty!

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/