[CLUE-Tech] Wireless problem

Francis X. Maier franx at qwest.net
Tue Apr 6 10:53:34 MDT 2004

I'm running Yellow Dog Linux 3.01 (basically Red Hat for Macs) on an
iMac with an Airport (802.11b) card.  The card appears as configured and
active, but I can't make an internet connection.

Background:  I lease eight static IPs from Qwest.  Five are usable by
me.  Three are required by the system -- including the IP my Actiontech
router uses (168.103.XX.6).

I assign 168.103.XX.1 to my Airport Extreme base station, which then
operates as the gateway for my other computers.

The Xbox and the two Macs on my wireless LAN system work great, manually
configured with the base station (again, 168.103.XX.1) as their gateway.

My Linux box is the problem.  Note that I do not use WEP.  Here's my
current /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=168.103.XX.7
IPADDR=168.103.XX.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
NETWORK=168.103.XX.0
ONBOOT=yes
CHANNEL=1
TYPE=Wireless
MODE=Auto
KEY=
RATE=Auto
GATEWAY=168.103.XX.1
ESSID=dannyman1

Can somebody steer me in the right direction?