[CLUE-Tech] Permissions?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Apr 13 14:36:56 MDT 2004

I'm a little hazy on all the caveats for file permissions after the
following occured to me:

I was a member of the group that owned the file, but the write permission
was NOT set for the group, and I was able to delete the file.  It did ask
me "remove read only file?" but it still allowed me when I said yes.  The
owner had both read and write set.  Why would it allow me to remove the
file if I don't have write permission?

Angelo

-
In the days when Sussman was a novice Minsky once came to him as he sat
hacking at the PDP-6.  "What are you doing?", asked Minsky.  "I am
training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe."  "Why is the
net wired randomly?", asked Minsky.  "I do not want it to have any
preconceptions of how to play." Minsky shut his eyes.  "Why do you
close your eyes?", Sussman asked his teacher.  "So the room will be
empty."  At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.