[CLUE-Tech] Bind a key?

vbsouthern vbsouthern at access4less.net
Tue Apr 13 15:14:36 MDT 2004

I'm trying to bind a key to run 3ddesktop. I followed the instructions
below exactly as written except 3ddesktop installed itself in
/usr/local/bin  instead of /usr/bin/ so I made the appropriate edit.
When I press the key F12 nothing happens.

Below is the information that came with the tar package:

Keybindings Howto
-----------------
The default window manager in Redhat 8.0 is Metacity and will allow
you to bind a key combo to an arbitrary command but its a little
tricky.

Run "gconf-editor". Drill down to apps --> metacity -->
global_keybindings. Find "run_command_1" and change it to your key
such as "F12" or "<Control><Alt>S".  Then in apps --> metacity -->
keybinding_commands find "command_1" and set it to "/usr/bin/3ddesk".

Is there a better way to do this than "gconf-editor"?

Any advice would be helpful.
vbsouthern at access4less.net