[CLUE-Tech] Wireless Problem

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Thu Apr 15 08:26:00 MDT 2004

Mike:

Mike Giles wrote:

> Hey everyone, I am also having a Wireless problem.  But I have checked to make
> sure the antenna is plugged in.  Anyways I have Mandrake 9.2 with the
> 2.4.22-28mdk Kernel.  Ifconfig shows my wireless card, a DWL-G520, is getting
> the MAC address from the router.  But when I lanch the internet nothing

The MAC address is built into the WLAN card.  Ifconfig is probably showing you
your own MAC address.

What you want to do is "iwconfig" which will show you the access point's
MAC address, if it's associated with an AP.  (If it's not associated with
an AP, then the AP MAC will be shown as FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF .)

> happens.  So right now I have my computer plugged into my wireless router
> which defeats the purpose.  Anyways I will post my ifconfig-ath0 script.
> Maybe you all will see something I dont.  I am also using the MadWiki driver.

You must mean "madwifi" since your interface is ath0.

> STARTMODE=hotplug
> DEVICE=ath0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=yes
> WIRELESS=yes
> WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
> WIRELESS_ESSID=Marauder
> WIRELESS_ENC_KEY="My key here"
> WIRELESS_CHANNEL=1
> WIRELESS_NWID=''
> WIRELESS_FREQ=''
> WIRELESS_SENS=''
> WIRELESS_RATE=54M
> WIRELESS_RTS=''
> WIRELESS_FRAG=''
> WIRELESS_IWSPY=''
> WIRELESS_IWPRIV=mode 3

That's interesting but without the output of iwconfig we can't even
begin to speculate about what's going on.

Also it might be good if you could be more specific about the problem
than just saying "when I launch the Internet nothing happens."  For
example, you could list exactly the steps to duplicate the problem,
and then list exactly what it does (or does not do) that makes you
believe there's a problem.  If you want to ask for help on a list
you could spend some time thinking about what information might be
required for technical assistance.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/