[CLUE-Tech] Suse questions

Jeffrey Brown jabrown at co.jefferson.co.us
Thu Apr 15 16:00:06 MDT 2004

I hated not having the locate command on the install as well however,
the RPM package does exist as findutils-locate. Once installed your
first two commands are settled. Not being a SuSE expert I didn't find an
rdate package although you could use xntpd (to sync from a network time
source) and use hwclock to sync up time across the board (no pun
intended).

This link was helpful depending on which version you have:

http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/i386/packages.html

>>> staver at fimble.com 04/15/04 2:31 PM >>>
I have a few more command based SuSE questions.  Again, I'm working with

9.0 and on RedHat, the following commands work great:

updatedb
locate somefile
/usr/bin/rdate -s time.nist.gov

Without my ability to search using locate, or slocate, I have no idea
how I'm supposed to search the file system for files I'm looking for.  I

also can't seem to locate the rdate command, which I found to be very
handy with Red Hat to get my servers all synced up at the same time.
Does anyone who uses SuSE know what the equivalents would be? Most of
the documentation for SuSE I have found on line is in German, and that
doesn't do a lot for me.
--

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com