[CLUE-Tech] The new debian installer

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Apr 21 11:45:04 MDT 2004

Collins Richey wrote:

>IMO, the easiest way to get Debian installed is to get a Knoppix CD and
>follow the Install-to-Disk procedure (google for that). Then follow
>Timothy's recommendations. I had no problem with that a year and a half
>ago. System worked fine.
>
>Any attempt to use standard Debian installers is apt (pun intended) to
>lead to weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Of course, if anyone would volunteer to figure out why the Knoppix
installer does such a great job on i386 platforms and help the Debian
install creators figure out a way to cleanly get those i386-specific
tools into the mainline installer without breaking all the other
platforms, it's probably be well-appreciated by thousands of users the
world-over.

The new installer is very modular, but there are not enough people
working on it to do much more than support all the platforms evenly.
Volunteerism is at an all-time low and has been for years for the
installation software, and it shows.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com