[CLUE-Tech] Debian Installer

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Apr 16 09:10:34 MDT 2004

> Ha!  If you think aptitude is non-intuitive, you should try dselect!  I don't
> really like either, but aptitude is better.  I generally only use apt-get,
> but you have to know what you are looking for.

Funny you should mention that.  Luckily I had used apt before, so I was
able to at least apt-get less so I could actually view man pages with a
scroll back feature.  I used apt-cdrom and apt-get to install x-windows,
gnome, gaim, gcc, etc.  But it took a lot of guessing.  I started out by
trying stupid stuff like apt-get install XFree86*.  Then I figured out
later that you could use x-windows-system.

I did try dselect... I thought it was comparable to aptitude from a
cursory look at both.  I do like apt too.

> What kind of problems are you having?

Figuring out what packages are available, or these special "key words"
like x-windows-system, which install sets of packages.  It would be REALLY
nice if apt had some kind of reporting feature which would let you know
what was in the database.

> You might try synatptic
>
> apt-get install synaptic

Yeah, maybe I should try it again.  I tried it a while back on RH, and it
would hang up sometimes (but I guess that could have been RPM).  So far
apt-get is the most straightforward tool, and is just awesome for keeping
you up to date whenever you have the packages you want.

If you have any advice on "learning apt packages" please share.