[CLUE-Tech] Debian Installer

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Apr 16 13:58:14 MDT 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 09:10 am, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Figuring out what packages are available, or these special "key words"
> like x-windows-system, which install sets of packages.  It would be REALLY
> nice if apt had some kind of reporting feature which would let you know
> what was in the database.

You can use the command line utility apt-cache to search for stuff.

apt-cache search XFree

Would return all packages with that regex in them.  It does a lot more stuff,
the man page documents it.

Personally, though, I generally find what I want just by searching on the
Debian package web page:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

About 2/3 down the page, you can search all three branches, either on the name
or the description.  I have a 24/7 DSL connection, so I find that I use that
the most.  If you have intermittent connectivity, apt-cache might be better.

Also, in aptitide, it has 5 main groups:  "Installed Packages," "Not Installed
Packages," "Obsolete ...," "Virtual Packages," and "Tasks."  The last two
categories are usefull if you are getting started, and want to install whole
bunches of packages.  Under 'Tasks|End-user|' you will find an
'x-window-system' meta-package that will install all the basic x-window
system stuff.

Hope that helps.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...