[CLUE-Tech] Debian Installer

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 15:08:37 MDT 2004

> Figuring out what packages are available, or these special "key
> words"
> like x-windows-system, which install sets of packages.  It would be
> REALLY
> nice if apt had some kind of reporting feature which would let you
> know
> what was in the database.

Use apt-cache search <name>  to search for packages, it gives you a
short discription of each one.    There is also
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages, that allows you to search for
packages.  BTW, synaptic is awesome, IMHO, I use that if I want to just
look at what is available, or install a bunch of packages at once,
otherwise, apt-get is the best solution.  The best advice for learning
about Debian specific changes to packages is to read through the
README.Debian files in /usr/local/doc/<packagename>.

Debian has so many debian-centric cool commands (like
update-alternatives) that it really pays to read through all the Debian
documentation to learn about things you may have never even thought of
asking about.

Brandon