[CLUE-Tech] The new debian installer

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Apr 16 14:07:36 MDT 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 02:46 pm, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Anyone can tell me what gives with Sarge?

I don't follow the Debian development stuff all that closely, so this could be
wrong, but in Testing they are working on a new installer.  It may currently
be in a broken state.

The easiest way to get to Testing or Unstable is to first install a basic
system with a bootable Stable cd.

Once it is installed, log in as root at a console and change
your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to a Testing or unstable mirror.

Something like:
-------------------
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib \
	non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib \
	non-free
----------------------

Yours would read 'stable' rather than 'unstable.'  Just change that word to
'testing.'

Then run

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

And you will be automatically updated to Testing or Unstable.

But understand that in those two branches, once in a while things could be
broken.  Not so much so in Testing, somewhat more so in Unstable.  You would
probably want to stick with Testing in the beginning.  Not trying to scare
you -- I have almost never run across completely show-stopping bugs in either
branch, but it could happen.  And if you were to complain on one of the
Debian lists about borked stuff in those branches, you would get flamed :-(

But they actually generally work quite well.  I run Unstable all the time -- I
rarely have problems, and I can generally fix them.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...