[CLUE-Tech] The new debian installer

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 08:29:23 MDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:07:36 -0600
Timothy Klein <teece at silverklein.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 15 April 2004 02:46 pm, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> > Anyone can tell me what gives with Sarge?
>
> I don't follow the Debian development stuff all that closely, so this
> could be wrong, but in Testing they are working on a new installer.
> It may currently be in a broken state.
>
> The easiest way to get to Testing or Unstable is to first install a
> basic system with a bootable Stable cd.
>
> Once it is installed, log in as root at a console and change
> your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to a Testing or unstable
> mirror.
>
> Something like:
> -------------------
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
> deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main
> contrib \
> 	non-free
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main
> contrib \
> 	non-free
> ----------------------
>
> Yours would read 'stable' rather than 'unstable.'  Just change that
> word to 'testing.'
>
> Then run
>
> apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> And you will be automatically updated to Testing or Unstable.

[ rest snipped ]

IMO, the easiest way to get Debian installed is to get a Knoppix CD and
follow the Install-to-Disk procedure (google for that). Then follow
Timothy's recommendations. I had no problem with that a year and a half
ago. System worked fine.

Any attempt to use standard Debian installers is apt (pun intended) to
lead to weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

--
 /\/\
( CR ) Collins Richey