[CLUE-Tech] The new debian installer

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Apr 18 14:08:42 MDT 2004

Collins Richey wrote:
[...]
> IMO, the easiest way to get Debian installed is to get a Knoppix CD and
> follow the Install-to-Disk procedure (google for that).

This is probably pretty close to Red Hat and other installers where you
want most everything installed.  For that it might be better than
Debian's stock installer.

But one really nice thing about Debian vs. Red Hat is that it's easy to
get a very minimal install from Debian.  By not selecting anything to be
installed you only get the base system.

I've tried this on FC 1 and the closest I got was removing over 100
packages when I was done.  I've yet to figure out how to avoid having
RPC installed when I don't want it.

> Any attempt to use standard Debian installers is apt (pun intended) to
> lead to weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Never felt that way to me.