[CLUE-Tech] The new debian installer

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Mon Apr 19 12:10:16 MDT 2004

Quoting Collins Richey <erichey2 at comcast.net>:

[SNIP]

> Any attempt to use standard Debian installers is apt (pun intended) to
> lead to weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

That's a rather harsh assessment, especially from a Gentoo user.

I've used both Gentoo and Debain.  In both cases, the "installers" worked.

IMO, the installation of an OS more an issue of following instructions, rather
than does one "installer" work better than another.  That said, I found the
Gentoo process much more complicated and prone to user error[1].  A Debian
installation, however, is a pretty straight forward process and (for me at
least) no more difficult than a Red Hat, SUSE, or Windoze installation.

[1]  Please note, I have not installed Gentoo recently.  My experience is dated.
 At the time, there was no option to install binaries.  It was an internet only
install and everything had to be compiled from scratch.  Things are probably
different, now.

--
Allons Rouler!

Randy