[CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debain

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Apr 19 22:01:17 MDT 2004

I'm afraid of Knoppix.  I have a bad gut feeling about it.  I do use it,
but only for maintenence purposes, and even then, it has hung up on me
once or twice.  Actually, this reminds me, Debian hung up on me quite a
few times since I installed it.  Maybe it's a hardware conflict between
my system and Debian style systems.

Anyway, after trying about 2 or 3 times, I'm pretty comfortable with
installing the Debian base packages.  It sounds like if I used Knoppix
for the install, I'd still have to do a lot of tweaking.  This is the
main attraction to RH products:  the selection of packages.  I like the
fact that I can click on "X-Windows" and it will install the packages
that are good for X-Windows... but if they stopped there, I would say
"that's not really what I want."  You can also lick on "details" which
is just simply perfect.  The packages are categorized well, and in the
details section they set aside the "non-optional" packages from the
"optional" packages.  This is more helpful than you realize to get a
system up quickly, yet also be able to tweak it and not install huge
programs (emacs anyone?) which you don't need.

Maybe I can tolerate the RH branding and filesystem personality.  I did
so far in the past.  One other thing that has annoyed me is that RH
treated all their versions of Linux as completely different operating
systems.  In other words, you never really could "upgrade RH 7 to RH 8"
without screwing something up.  I wish they would have taken that
approach.  That is one attractive thing about Debian... I feel like you
can just upgrade it forever.

Angelo