[CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debain

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Apr 19 22:15:52 MDT 2004

> What takes so long?  Selecting packages?  Downloading?

Reading all the descriptions and selecting them, only to find out that I
have conflicting dependencies.

> What are the "pre-packaged sets" Debian has that Fedora doesn't?  Are
> you talking about tasksel?

No actually I meant the groupings the Anaconda does that Debian doesn't.

> That's a matter of discipline, it sounds like.  I would think that the
> time spent installing should be minimal compared to the time you use
> the system.  Let's see, I have 4 or 5 systems.  One install each.
> More than two years running for each of them.
>
> The only thing I do regularly is update and upgrade packages.  Since
> these are testing systems that takes more time than it could, but
> what, 15-30 min/mo?  And the only one I fool with is my desktop
> because upgrading to KDE 3 too quickly wasn't as smooth as it could
> have been.
>
> So pick the one that will be easiest to operate over time.  If you do
> a lot of installing, figure out what you're looking for in a base
> system and automate that (disk imaging, FAI, tar, and cp are all
> posibilities for that).  If you're doing repetitive tasks by hand,
> don't.  That's what computers are for.

I don't know, maybe I suffer from some kind of obsession.  I downloaded
all nine Debian CD's ("just in case") and of course to make things go
faster after scanning the CDs with apt-cdrom, I copied all the .deb
packages to /var/cache/apt/archives which works very nicely.  And then I
start to read each and every description,  and I see things which I
think to myself "hey I probably will want to try that one day" so I add
them.  But sometimes I spend too long thinking about whether or not I
should really install a package.  There's about 10 different packages
for any one thing you want to do.  And I want to make sure I use the
best one.  To make things "simple" I did try to select all packages and
install them all,  but that gave me conflicts.  So I guess you're
right... it's a "discipline problem" and having too many toys to know
what to do with.

Angelo