[CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debain

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Apr 21 11:51:05 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

>> What takes so long?  Selecting packages?  Downloading?
>>
> Reading all the descriptions and selecting them, only to find out that
> I have conflicting dependencies.
>
>> What are the "pre-packaged sets" Debian has that Fedora doesn't?  Are
>> you talking about tasksel?
>>
> No actually I meant the groupings the Anaconda does that Debian doesn't.

Debian *could* have better groups of packages if someone would volunteer
to write them up for tasksel.  The configuration file for tasksel is
brain-dead simple to modify, and any changes could then be sent upstream
to the package maintainer(s) with appropriate comments about why that
particular group of packages put together would be nice for end-users.
Pretty easy to fix, really -- if someone would take the time.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com