[CLUE-Tech] insmod -f w/ soundcard

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Apr 21 00:28:44 MDT 2004

>A.  use modprobe instead of insmod.  It handles automagically loading
>dependent modules as well.

insmod -f was the only way I could figure out how to force the gcc2
module into a gcc3 kernel.  I don't know any way around this because the
bits that are gcc2 are .o files provided by the company and that's all
we get.

>B.  most distros use /etc/modules.conf to let the system know what module
>to load.  For example...
>
>probeall scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
>alias eth0 3c59x
>
>and so on.  You didn't mention whichb distro you're using, so ....
>
>If your card works at all there should be no reason to replace it.

Actually I did look at this.  There were entries for my soundcard, but
no "probeall" line.  And when I did an lsmod the module wasn't loaded.

This is on Fedora.  When I compiled and installed the module the first
time, the sound worked--I was able to get all the bells and whistles
going on gnome.  However, afterwards I wasn't able to load any other GUI
applications.  For some reason they didn't even appear to be trying to
run.  I ran gaim from the command-line and it complained about GTK not
being able to open the display.  I don't know how it's related, but I
had a feeling it had something to do with the sound module.

The next time I booted up, gaim et al were working fine.  However, no
sound.  This is when I took a look at modules.conf, and noticed that the
module wasn't loaded.  So I did another insmod -f, and then I could get
sounds from one and only one program:  the sound preferences program in
gnome.  When I clicked "test sound" it worked, however none of the bells
and whistles worked in gnome anymore.

So... I"m not exactly sure if I'm "supposed" to be using this module or not.

Angelo