[CLUE-Tech] insmod -f w/ soundcard

dan radom dan at radom.org
Tue Apr 20 22:47:38 MDT 2004

* Angelo Bertolli (angelo at freeshell.org) wrote:

> Using insmod -f for my soundcard only seems to works for certain
> applications.  Other ones don't seem to find the soundcard.  (Can't open
> /dev/sound/mixer or something like that.)  Not to mention, I also have to
> use insmod after each boot to get it to appear using lsmod again.  So I'm
> thinking the best solution is just to get a new soundcard.  It's too bad
> because the card I have has 3D sound capabilities, which I like.  I was
> wondering if anyone knows of any good soundcards that work with Linux
> well.

A.  use modprobe instead of insmod.  It handles automagically loading
dependent modules as well.

B.  most distros use /etc/modules.conf to let the system know what module
to load.  For example...

probeall scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias eth0 3c59x

and so on.  You didn't mention whichb distro you're using, so ....

If your card works at all there should be no reason to replace it.