[CLUE-Tech] WAS The new debian installer - NOW Fedora Minimal

Greg Knaddison greg at knaddison.com
Wed Apr 21 21:42:12 MDT 2004

Quoting Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>:

> He should convince the Fedora powers-that-be to make this an option in
> their own installer.  Why the fork?  Seems simple enough to get a
> "minimal install" checkbox added to the anaconda stuff...?

There is a "minimal" install option in FC (and there has been in RedHat for a
while) but what RedHat considers minimal and what is "truly" minimal are two
different things.  Some of their work has impacted the trunk and I don't
believe this is a fork, it's just an attempt to create a "minimal" install
below the FC defaults that is still somewhat usable.  For example, they removed
unnecessary depencies from the vim package set which reduced the install size
by 25MB or something like that - that will directly benefit anyone who does a
minimal install of Fedora2.  The install size of their minimal install is down
to a little over 400MB and runs reasonably well as a "netserver" on a 100MHZ
machine with 32MB of RAM i.e. ftp, ssh, dhcp, NAT, firewall for advanced home
user or SOHO.

Greg