[CLUE-Tech] digital camcorder to DVD via firewire

qqq1one at yahoo.com qqq1one at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 17:12:46 MDT 2004

Has anyone taken a digital camcorder tape and transferred it over to
DVD using Linux?

I've been trying to find all the tools to do this in Linux.

So far, I've found the tool dvgrab to actually capture the video stream
coming over the firewire interface.  I've also found dvcont to control
the camcorder.   I don't know if you can use them both at the same time
or if it's even desirable to do so since you can also send the video
stream by using the camcorder's playback controls.

Since dvgrab can store the resulting stream into a file in dv2 format,
it would seem that all I would need from there is (1) to convert the
resulting file into an mpeg2, and then (2) use some DVD burning tool to
get it onto DVD.

Can anyone recommend tools to do these last 2 steps, and if you've
tried this, how happy were you with the results?