[CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debian

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 14:55:51 MDT 2004

--- Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:

> > So *does* deb have a 2.6 distro? Is anybody running 2.6 with deb?
> If
> > so how is it? I'm running a Dell I8000 and thats where I want to go
> > 2.6...so I'm just tossing gas on the fire heheh
> >
> I don't know, but if they do it's sid.  But I guess my whole point
> about
> not having a 2.4 kernel in the "stable" distro can be considered moot
>
> since you can upgrade using apt-get.

Both sarge and sid have packages for the 2.6 kernel.  it's worth
noting, that with make-kpkg, you can download a kernel from anywhere
and make a package out of it rather quickly.

> I still have a hankering to get debian running on my computer!  I
> can't
> help it, I like their standards and their structure enough to still
> want
> to use it.  But every time I've tried installing it, it has hung up
> on
> me frequently in X-Windows.  If anyone can give me advice on this, I
> might be willing to try again.

If you want woody and X-Windows, use the progeny linux installer.
Otherwise, either Sarge or Sid have worked easily for me to get X up
and running.

Brandon