[CLUE-Tech] web site usability

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Apr 24 10:04:18 MDT 2004

Jeff Cann wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> A web site I work on has a product tour.  There is much debate whether we
> should pop up (via javascript) another window to launch the tour vs. loading
> it into the main window.
>
> Anyone have thoughts on this topic?

I can tell you that at the company I work at, the IT department loads a
pop-up blocker by default in all their Windows machine images, and it's
enabled the day you get a new PC from them.

(That was actually a surprise seeing that one... when I started work there!)

You want pop-ups, you have to turn the blocker off yourself.  I'm sure
there's a non-trivial number of people in the building that have no idea
the blocker is even there, let alone know how to turn it off.  But
perhaps they're also not your target market for your product, if it's a
technical one.  ;-)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com