[CLUE-Tech] web site usability

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Apr 24 11:16:58 MDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:18:06 -0600
Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

> A web site I work on has a product tour.  There is much debate whether
> we should pop up (via javascript) another window to launch the tour vs.
>
> Anyone have thoughts on this topic?

As if you had to ask me? ;-)

But, I'm actually not completely opposed to JavaScript. From marketing
perspective, I'd still say the that "tour" deserves the placement of "main
window" status. I wouldn't make it subordinate, and that's the feel that a
popup has. Rather than highlighting the selected tour elements, you run
the risk of annoying visitors (which depends on the mental association
they might already have gotten which associates a popup with "unwanted
ad"). And don't forget that while there are admittedly few "luddites" like
me, who will disable JavaScript entirely, because of popup ads and other
abuses, there might be a larger percentage of visitors who have switched
to Mozilla because of its tunable script blocking, and use that feature.

Again, the issue is to reach the maximum number of visitors with the
message, and be as certain as possible that the presentation mode doesn't
detract.

And yes, I also realize that when a popup window is in response to a
deliberate click, as opposed to a page [un]load, it's much less
irritating.

One area where I do think JavaScript is OK is things such as help windows,
where the information really is tangental, or a sidebar, to what's in the
main window. In this case, using a seperate window maintains the flow of
presentation in the main window, and overall, I think that's a good thing.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/