[CLUE-Tech] web site usability

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Apr 25 11:26:34 MDT 2004

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> One area where I do think JavaScript is OK is things such as help windows,
> where the information really is tangental, or a sidebar, to what's in the
> main window. In this case, using a seperate window maintains the flow of
> presentation in the main window, and overall, I think that's a good thing.

This is what I would say as well.  If the tour is "oh, let me look over
here for a second and then look back to where I was", I would use a
pop-up for it.

The only other reason I'd do it is if the tour window needed something
special that the main window wouldn't have -- remove the various tool
bars, set a particular size, etc.  Now I absolutely hate it when windows
pop up to remove functionality from my browser (like removing tool bars,
and worst of all disabling features like right click to view source, or
ctl-p to print).

But suppose you had a page that only looked good using all the screen
real estate.  Then your users would almost always maximize their browser
window and roll up their tool bars and so on.  Then a pop up that does
all that for them might be a good idea.  (This is contrived, with the
wide variation in monitor resolution you can't count on the available
screen real estate.)