[CLUE-Tech] vi search/replace question

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Fri Apr 23 13:03:57 MDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:54:50AM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> Is there a way to delete entire lines globbally from a file when part
> of the line matches a pattern?
>
> For example, I want to remove all the lines the start with a particular
> character, perhaps #, (so the regex to find the lines would be ^# ...

How about:
:g/^#/d

Just like you would do in good old ed.  This breaks down into ":", which
tells vi to execute an ex (non-graphical interface to vi) command, "g/^#/"
which says to apply the command to lines that match /^#/ globally (over the
entire file), and finally "d", which is the delete command.

And I'm a regular emacs user..

Marcus Hall
marcus at tuells.org