[CLUE-Tech] probing cdrom devices

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Apr 26 15:30:27 MDT 2004

I'm going to attempt to make an interactive shell script which knows how
to create multi-session CD's using mkisofs and cdrecord.  It's pretty
simple, except I'm going to assume the user may have multiple cdroms and
doesn't know which one is which one under the /dev directory.  Also, each
cdrom could be USB/SCSI or IDE.  So what I have in mind is to probe for
these devices, list their "official names" and give the user a choice
between them.

So how do I probe for all cdroms, and extract their "easy to identify"
name?  Also, is there any way to combine/associate this with the
information from cdrecord -scanbus, which is what I will use in a future
step to construct the correct -dev=#,#,# option?

Angelo

-
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
		-- Vroomfondel