[CLUE-Tech] SMTP authentication

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Aug 3 11:48:16 MDT 2004

I'm trying to figure out how SMTP authentication works.  I am using it
on a server, and I'm just wondering why spammers aren't able to get
through and relay.

 From ethereal it seems to me that all you do is:
1) send EHLO
2) send AUTH

But AUTH doesn't seem to contain anything about that particular user, so
what's being checked for authentication?  For example, for me it was
something like AUTH PLAIN FSJ823ajsa2... but I never sent a userid or
anything.  I tried to use the exact same line via telnet and I got denied.

Does anyone know how SMTP authentication works?

Angelo