[CLUE-Tech] SMTP authentication

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri Aug 6 18:06:00 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how SMTP authentication works.  I am using it
> on a server, and I'm just wondering why spammers aren't able to get
> through and relay.
>
>  From ethereal it seems to me that all you do is:
> 1) send EHLO
> 2) send AUTH
>
> But AUTH doesn't seem to contain anything about that particular user, so
> what's being checked for authentication?  For example, for me it was
> something like AUTH PLAIN FSJ823ajsa2... but I never sent a userid or
> anything.  I tried to use the exact same line via telnet and I got denied.
>
> Does anyone know how SMTP authentication works?
>

> Angelo

I know this response is a bit dated but it would appear to me that you
setup SMTP AUTH but were not making it a requirement for allowing relay.
  A proper SMTP AUTH setup should allow you to accept incoming
submission on port 25 without AUTH but require AUTH (with
username/password or token) to relay outbound.  On my personal mail
server I prefer to only allow relay with SMTP AUTH via SSL connection to
port 465.  Port 25 will allow non-SSL, non-AUTH incoming connections for
receiving mail but no relay.  Port 465 is setup to require an
established SSL connection prior to allowing AUTH and relay.

-Ken