[CLUE-Tech] Comcast question

Mike lister-clue at gantsfort.com
Fri Aug 6 10:05:49 MDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:22:57AM -0600, Don Collier wrote:
>    Hello all.  I am thinking of droping my current provider and moving to
>    comcast as my isp.  Do any of you have your own mail or web servers
>    running with Comcast or do they block access to those ports.  My
>    servers are strictly for my family only so I dont want to shell out
>    the extra cash for business access.  Just curious to see if I have to
>    find a new host for my email.

I have comcast and have been running an home email server for
approximately 8 months. I haven't turned on the web server to the
outside world, yet.  The user agreement specifically states that neither
a mail or web server is allowed. However, I have heard through the rumor
mill that they will "look the other way" on home servers provided you
are not using significant bandwidth. I don't know what the threshold in
bandwidth usage would be before you would raise suspicion. As discussed
on this list in a current thread some ISPs will block all mail from a
comcast IP. In order to get around this I had to relay outgoing mail
through the comcast smtp server. Other than that I have had no problems.

Mike