[CLUE-Tech] Comcast question

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 11:55:52 MDT 2004

Don,

I'm using comcast and have been for 7 or so years. I
have a new web site hosted on my linux box
(http://www.hobgoblinconsulting.com) through
http://www.dyndns.org. I got it mainly to test out the
dynamic dns service and to lay claim to a future
business address. Once it's all working to my
satisfaction, I'll get an e-mail server up, mainly to
accept mail and go from there.

Per several DSL providers, DSL isn't available to my
home. I tried when we moved in a couple of months ago
since I didn't want to host them on a comcast ip
address (smtp blocking being the main reason).

Per the Gibson Research page (http://www.grc.com), I
tested my firewall and discovered that comcast blocks
the standard Windows ports (135-139 or something) but
nothing else.

I've read that comcast has begun blocking individual
users that are infected. I have noticed a significant
decrease of "attacks" on my linux box.

Carl

--- Don Collier <dcollier at collierclan.com> wrote:

---------------------------------
Hello all.  I am thinking of droping my current
provider and moving tocomcast as my isp.  Do any of
you have your own mail or web serversrunning with
Comcast or do they block access to those ports.  My
serversare strictly for my family only so I dont want
to shell out the extra cashfor business access.  Just
curious to see if I have to find a new host formy
email.
Don Collier
dcollier at collierclan.com