[CLUE-Tech] Brute force attack from host 208.188.115.21

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Fri Aug 6 20:47:32 MDT 2004

On Friday 06 August 2004 12:51 am, Collins Richey wrote:

<...>

> [ lots of grief snipped ]
>
> Wow, that's quite a tale of woe. Fortunately I only have two occurrences
> - one of the subscribers on another list (an isp in the Pacific
> Northwest Area) and the xfce users list. Both of them are firm believers
> in the "Comcast is evil" religion. Since I don't need any of them, they
> can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a believer per se of that,  but I'm not that happy with what they're
offering around here at the present time.  One aspect of it being that you
must be a tv cable subscriber to get the decent rates,  and the other being
that they have a "no servers" policy,  which also was one of the reasons I
passed over another local ISP.  If I'm buying a chunk of connectivity what is
their concern as to how I use it?  I get real tired of the assumptions that
are built into some folks thinking that we're *all* the average windoze user
and doing things in the average way.  Doesn't work here!  :-)

> I've tried explaining to them that their approach is just as sad as the
> "all the Indians I saw walk single file; therefore, all Indians walk
> single file" concept. post hoc ergo propter hoc. I saw spam from this ip
> address; therefore all users from this ip address must be spammers.
>
> Pretty lame.

Yep.

> My evil twin would wish that there was a way to block all services for
> those who block my emails.

Isn't there?

>  Meanwhile, my comcast service keeps humming right along, and I
> get relatively little spam.

Whatever works for you I guess.