[CLUE-Tech] Comcast question

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Aug 6 21:55:28 MDT 2004

On Friday 06 August 2004 18:27, Mike wrote:
> I don't like violating the agreement anymore than you would. If I could
> get DSL at my house I would switch immediately. When I originally set up
> my home network I had DSL. I registerd a domain name and set up a mail
> server. Then I moved to a new house where I can only get cable. I got

Ah, you see, this is why you call your friend that works at Qwest and make him
check the availability of an address *before* you buy :-)  That's what me and
my wife did.

> spoiled (as well as my family) having my own email server. Comcast
> doesn't allow servers under any plan that I'm aware of. (Even Comcast
> Pro at $95/month! doesn't allow servers.) There Home Networking option
> costs the same as there basic Hi-Speed Internet. So, it's not as if I'm
> not paying for the service. The only difference from what I can gather

They don't ever allow servers?  That's just nonsense.  They must really be
into the idea of their cable service as a toy.  (Actually, they should be
regulated like the damn phone company -- it is essentially the same kind of
monopoly.  They should be forced to allow you to choose alternate ISPs.  If
their customers had the option of switching to another ISP on their cable
line, Comcast would change their tune about being a good netizen, methinks).
Like I said, not trying to pass judgement.  I'd probably end up doing the
same thing.  But it would make me a nervous wreck.  But thank all that is
holy, I can get DSL.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...