[CLUE-Tech] Comcast question

Todd Williams hp205ctl at hotpop.com
Fri Aug 6 23:12:32 MDT 2004

Don Collier wrote:
> I do have my own domain which is why I want to keep my servers.  My
> current provider has become almost unusable and is way past unreliable.
> I would look into DSL but they only offer the 128k service in my
> neighborhood and that is just not very acceptable for work use.
> I am afraid that I don't totally agree with being guilty by association
> using Comcast.  For some people that is the only option.  As long as we
> can do our part preventing spam and trying to educate others we are not
> part of the problem, but part of the solution.
> I do thank you for your advice though.

I had no access to cable or DSL (except "maybe 128K") at my house until
about 1 week ago.  There was an option of a very expensive fixed wireless
provider, but their network makes the cable guys look good.  So as of this
week I now have DSL (woo-hoo).  Dial-up worked for some things, but I had
to bug friends to download large things (like linux distros...).
Now I have a "bare DSL" and basic internet access (no email or web space),
for a reasonable price (less than cable even if it were available), and
none of the hassles of cable.

As for part of the problem - ask any admin at Cheyenne Mountain what they
think of Adelphia and Comcast (and be prepared for some "rough language").
 From the view of a sysadmin, Comcast, RoadRunner, Verio, Cogentco, etc.
are the biggest threat to my (client's) systems.  The massive traffic
generated by some of the compromised win-lusers can cause considerable
trouble for even big networks, let alone for a small business "targeted"
by some zombie spewing garbage.  Yes - comcast has improved, but they
still do not respond to problems in a timely manner, sometimes not at all,
and for some businesses it is better to just drop all comcast traffic at
the router. Others keep a good relationship with their own upstream so that
you can ask them to block traffic from problem networks if it gets too
overwhelming.  Be glad your only choice isn't RoadRunner or Charter Cable.

If you get the chance to run your servers on any decent connection without
the technical, social and contractual limitations of Comcast (and just about
every other cable provider), you will be much better off.  Can you get static
IP's from comcast?

Is ricochet available in your area?  Do they allow servers?

I manage several servers that run on DSL, and things run smoothly.  The
only business I know that tried to hang a server off a "business plan" cable
package had to give up and get off-site hosting while waiting for DSL, because
the cable service wasn't reliable, they could not get anyone to set up proper
rDNS, and they had problems with email.service and limits.  They also couldn't
afford a T1.  They now have DSL through Covad, but will switch to Qwest if it
becomes available - better speed and service and lower prices (never thought
I would say "better service" about qwest!)

Most of the satellite providers have such rube-goldberg network setups that
you would not want to rely on them for any server.

You may be able to put up with the hassles for a home server, but you wouldn't
want to rely on a cable connection for a business.  Most cable providers don't
offer any business services, and can't meet the needs of a business.

Finding a new ISP is always a PITA, and it's worse if you want to do anything
other than hook up your windows box and surf (while spewing virii and spam...)
I hate it when a good provider goes bad.

Todd Williams