[CLUE-Tech] recommended mail transport

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Mon Aug 9 16:42:30 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Can anyone give recommendations and/or comparisons about sendmail,
> exim, postfix, or any others you may think of?
>
> Online everyone just says "ours is better."  And sure they give some
> reasons.  But does anyone here have any feelings or any configuration
> examples to share?

I've used Sendmail, Exim 3, and Postfix.  Here's my experiences with
them all ( very briefly ):

Sendmail - arcane configuration file syntax.  Most things seem to be
"harder" than they should be.  Performance is excellent, reliability is
excellent.

Exim 3 - very simple to configure and get running, however performance
was lacking.  Once it became intrusive to the flow of corporate e-mail I
ditched it.  Exim 4 is very different, no experience with it yet.

Postfix - config file is well documented and I found it easy to get
running.  Bonuses - "native" integration with amavis and spamassassin.
These 3 apps work so well together that I settled on this
configuration.   I'm also using Cyrus IMAP in there and using SASL for
smtp auth but I'm having some frustrating issues getting sasl involved
with the whole thing in an easy-to-admin way.

-Dan