[CLUE-Tech] recommended mail transport

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Aug 9 18:40:30 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Can anyone give recommendations and/or comparisons about sendmail, exim,
> postfix, or any others you may think of?
>
> Online everyone just says "ours is better."  And sure they give some
> reasons.  But does anyone here have any feelings or any configuration
> examples to share?

I've used (and still use) qmail for years but it is becoming dated..

Plus: Secure, active user/support/patch development community, highly
configurable and extensible (via patches), hardware resource friendly.

Cons: No automated updating (source based), you'll need to add patches
and manually recompile for updates and additional features.  DJB has
shown no indication that qmail core will be updated anytime soon
although there are a number of offshoots net-qmail, qmail-ldap, etc.

Overall I still think qmail is great but Postfix now has nearly the same
flexibility and is supported with packaging for nearly all major distros.

-Ken