[CLUE-Tech] good hosting companies

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Aug 10 11:27:42 MDT 2004

Jeff Falgout wrote:

> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>

>>I'm looking for suggestions on a good hosting company.  Right now
>
> we're
>
>>with Rackspace, but I think they're over priced.  Does anyone have any
>

>>good experience with another company?  Also, does anyone know how good
>

>>tools like Plesk and Ensim are?  I'm moving towards setting things up
>>with an interface that someone else could probably take over for me if
>

>>needed.
>>
>>Angelo
>>

> For personal hosting I'd highly recommend http://www.jvds.com/.  I have
> no affiliation but I've hosted my email & web on a usermode linux vds
> there for about a year an a half and always had great, knowledgeable
> support.  Rus, the owner, is a linux/bsd diehard and they offer a good
> choice of distros (RedHat, Fedora, Debian, Suse, Gentoo, Slack and
> BSD's).
> -Ken
>

> Ken -
>
> Do you use just the shared hosting or do you use the VPS. If you use the
> VPS, how much diskspace does the OS install take and does the system act
> like you only have the memory that comes with the plan? If shared
> hosting, are you able to use any php app (I'm wanting to run just
> gallery) or are you limited to whatever cms they support? This looks to
> really cool.
>
> Jeff

I use the the "standard linux 2" package: 1 fixed IP, 128MB dedicated
RAM, 3GB disk, 20Gb bandwidth/month for $26.40.  The distros disk usages
are listed at http://www.jvds.com/distro.php

I'm currently using Debian (it's just easy to manage) on mine and run
qmail, qmail-scanner, clamav, spammassassin, courier-imap, imapproxy,
vpopmail and squirrelmail on the mail side and apache2 (mod_ssl,
mod_rewrite, mod_proxy, etc), bloxsom and gallery for web without any
issues.  I've never had any resource issues myself but have never linked
it to slashdot either..

Overall the system acts nearly identical to having your own box with the
same specs.  The main difference is that you cannot roll your own kernel
but I've never had an issue as you can still load your own modules and
the one time that I did want something compiled monolithic Rus was happy
to do so for me.

Another plus is that they provide primary and/or backup DNS for your VPS
for free and will also setup reverse DNS if you ask.  Additional fixed
IP's are $1.00/mo..

I can't speak for the Shared Hosting as I've never used it but believe
you can run any normal PHP/MySQL apps.
-Ken