[CLUE-Tech] Recent Gentoo install experiences?

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Tue Aug 10 13:04:29 MDT 2004

Hoo, boy.  i can still remember *my* first time with gentoo..

I guess, my words are:
1.  Make sure you mount your partitions in the right spot.  You don't
want a 50 GB /boot partition and a 100 MB / partition.
2. Don't ever do a make etc-update and let it change all conf files (it
is a lot easier, but you'll find that make.conf, fstab, etc are all gone)
3.  If you have failures with one particular stage, you can always try
another stage
4. Don't expect a bootable system in an hour, it will take 3-6 for a
stage one install to be finished.
5.  You'll need to use the command line tools (unless updated since my
last install) to set up X;
6.  You can emerge a lot of things at once - queueing them up into a
great big command line - and let it run all night.
7.  genkernel is your friend.
8.  Openoffice takes about 11 hours to compile on my 1.5 GHz Athlon -
don't do that until the very end. (KDE is a snorer too)
9. Kernel 2.6 can make compiling easy while you do other things on the
system.

Gentoo is a lot of fun.  Things rarely, if ever, break when I make -u
world (unless I do something stupid) and usually any compile failures
during an emerge can be overcome by waiting a bit unti lthose bugs are
worked out.  I only use gentoo on my home machines.

Adam