[CLUE-Tech] Confict With MIDI Players

Vern B. Southern vbsouthern at access4less.net
Wed Aug 11 18:19:53 MDT 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 04:47 pm, Matt Gushee wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "the OS default."

When I open the directory where I keep all my midi files and click on
anyfile.mid the Mandrake operating system opens the midi file with Kmidi and
everything works just fine.

When I use the Konqueror Web Browser and I go to a webpage that has a midi
file embedded into the HTML code on the webpage the Konqueror Web Browser
tries to open the midi using Kmid and Kmid gives me this infernal error
message:

Couldn't open /dev/sequencer
Probably there is another program using it.

Kmid is a Midi/Karaoke player with music and text. Kmidi just plays midi
files.  Quite frankly I have no use at all for a karaoke player so I don't
care if Kmid ever works.

What I would like to do is make Kmidi the default midi player but everything I
have tried has failed.  I checked to see if I could just remove Kmid but it
is part of a package of software which includes Kmidi.

Matt Gushee wrote:
> But I would bet it's a permissions problem. What does
>
>  # ls -l /dev/sequencer
>
> tell you?
>
> If it looks like this (the left-hand column is the key):
>
>   crw-------    1 root     root     14,   1 Oct 28  2003 /dev/sequencer
>
> then only root has permission to read or write this device. That's done
> for security reasons, but on a single-user system it doesn't really
> matter. You can open up the device to regular users with:
>
>  # chmod 666 /dev/sequencer

When it comes to line commands I am completely lost.  What I did is logged out
from user and logged in as root.  I checked the permissions on Kmid and Kmidi
and found that they are the same.

I have looked all over to find dev/sequencer and I can't find it anywhere.  I
am at a complete loss at what to do.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for trying to help.
--
Vern B. Southern
vbsouthern at access4less.net